Setting Students Up For Success In Anticipation of Finals

Studying can be overwhelming and sometimes challenging, but there are some very effective and efficient ways to have beneficial study sessions.

Students should keep the following in mind:

• Set Clear Goals: Specify what you want to achieve in each studying period. Having specific goals will help you stay focused and motivated
  • Study Schedule: Plan your study sessions in advance to allocate specific times for specific subjects. Schedules help stay organized and ensure you cover all necessary work.
  • The Right Environment: Being in the perfect setting is key to help study and retain information. Being in a beneficial environment enhances concentration, minimizes distractions, and overall creates a positive mindset.
  • Taking Breaks: Breaks in studying cause very good study habits. While preparing for a test it is best to break sessions down in manageable chunks, such as a 25-30 minutes of focused concentrating studying followed up by a short 5-10 minute break. These breaks can consist of a healthy snack or even exercising. It is shown that exercising before or in the middle of studying improves concentration, gets blood circulating around the body and to the brain, and boosts sense of control.
  • Studying Tricks: There are many different ways to study and sometimes variety can help. Using flashcards repetitively helps with memorization. Quizlet and Kahoot are some very commonly used apps that students love and are very useful. Reviewing notes and study guides help retain the necessary information needed. Studying with friends can also be a great advantage, together each person can be held accountable and be encouraged.
  • Ask for Help: Asking for help and being direct is something that is very important when trying to improve academics and prepare for tests. Getting help from teachers, students, and friends can help improve plenty. Not understanding some things and having it explained is a key to bettering yourself. There is nothing wrong with asking for help; after all, there are many teachers and students who would be more than willing to help if they are asked. However, sometimes asking for help does not help you in the way you think, because it was not explained or taught in a way a student understands. Listening to podcasts and informational videos can help students in ways maybe a teacher or others can not.
  • Staying Organized: Staying organized is a way to not become overwhelmed or stressed out. Taking notes that are color coordinated and highlighted can be a great way to study.

PV Students Advice: Laighla Halpenny, a senior at PV, comments, “Being in an educational environment studying with friends and taking healthy snack breaks are the most beneficial and successful ways to study.” Myla Melton, a freshman, says, “Reviewing worksheets from the current unit, listening to music, and listening to podcasts to learn more information is the best way to study for a test.” Another freshman at PV says, “Making flashcards, re-writing notes, explaining aloud, and asking for help is key to passing your tests.”

In addition to having resources to help yourself study, PV also offers a couple of different events to help students study and promote good study habits. This includes Peer Tutoring in the library and the Kool Aid and Kram event on May 22 and 23. Peer Tutoring is a useful resource for students, as they are able to receive help from upperclassmen who have been in their positions before, and they are knowledgeable in the subject a student might be struggling with, and they can offer unique tips and tricks to help with a particular subject. Similarly, Kool Aid and Kram is a time for students to study for finals week, along with receiving help from upperclassmen. This event is put on by PV’s Link Crew, and it allows freshmen to study with their friends, eat a variety of snacks, including popcorn and candy, drink Kool Aid, and receive help from the juniors and seniors who make up Link Crew.

Overall, if a student needs help studying for a final, or is struggling in a certain subject, there are many resources both on campus and online that they can use to help themselves. Finals are hard for many students, and having these resources can help make the difference of a student passing their final. By using a combination of these skills, students can greatly set themselves up for success both with their finals, and any test they might take in the future.

Congratulations on finishing the school year, and good luck with finals!