The Saga

The Student News Site of Pleasant Valley High School

The Saga

The Saga

Dear Destiny, How Do I Balance School and Mental Health?

Abigail Harrell

Dear Destiny,

Me and many other people I know often struggle with the workload of AP classes, clubs, and even jobs and end up with so many things to do that it’s hard to make time for self care and all the little things; how do you recommend people create a healthy balance?

Sincerely, 

Stressed Out

Dear Stressed Out,

I resonate with this on so many levels. I struggle to find time for myself as well! First of all, you need to understand that you should be a top priority. Taking care of yourself is a priority, no matter what anyone else says. But obviously, you also have other things that need to be done. So what do you do then? I would recommend creating a to-do list, including both academic tasks and fun things. Then, from there, decide which things need to be done first. Not only does this help organize all your tasks, it is also very rewarding to cross things off once you have done them. Another piece of advice I have is to combine your responsibilities with activities you want to do. Want to hang out with your friends, but feel like you are always working? Make a lunch date with them or arrange for them to pick you up after work, then hang out. Want to read a book, but don’t have time? Read before bed instead of scrolling on your phone. Want to watch your favorite show but have to do homework? Put the show on in the background when you work (just don’t get too distracted!). These are some things I have found work for me, but if they don’t work for you, that’s okay too! We are all different humans and we all have different needs. Something else I want to stress is that if you feel yourself being drained or maybe you’re just mentally exhausted, please take a step back from whatever it is you are doing. Water your own grass, take a deep breath, and make time for self-care. It doesn’t have to be a lot of time; five minutes, ten minutes, fifteen minutes… Despite what some people believe, self-care doesn’t have to be an entire day dedicated to yourself, filled with manicures and facemasks. It can literally just be taking a walk outside or doing five minutes of yoga or even just calling someone you love! Focus on doing whatever fills your own bucket. At some point, you are going to figure out what works best for you in juggling all these things you have to do. It may take a lot of trial and error to find exactly what your mind and life needs, but eventually, you are going to figure it all out. You’ve got this, trust me.

Lots of love, 

Destiny