The Saga

The Student News Site of Pleasant Valley High School

The Saga

The Saga

Pleasant Valley Says Goodbye to Mrs. Olsen

Anthony Vang

After 20 years of being a beloved educator, PVHS’s own Gayle Olsen is retiring. Olsen has been a teacher for the Moderate and Mild Special Education class for many years and is very sad to be departing. “I teach in the Mild-Moderate Special Education Program. I teach modified English, modified physical science, and academic support,” Olsen stated. Though Olsen has been a part of our Viking Faculty for 20 years, she has been an educator for almost 34 years.

When asked what inspired her to become a teacher Olsen spoke, “Ever since I was in high school I would work with the Mod-Severe Program and I was like, ‘Oh I kind of like this!’” She continued to explain how both her parents and sister were educators and it really inspired her. Olsen has always loved her job, especially her students. “I just love my students so much. It is always about the students. Typically I have them all four years and I develop a close relationship with them.” Olsen discussed how the hardest part about her retirement will be leaving her students. “I have a lot of good bonds with my students that are juniors and it will be hard not to see them as seniors.” Olsen sadly stated.

Another part of her job that Olsen has held close to her heart was the relationship she has developed with her fellow faculty members. She said that how she was able to meet with her other Special Education teachers every Friday to discuss how to help their students really helped her to keep pushing. She said that having the ability to change a life is one of the great parts about being an educator. She said that her most impactful moment as a teacher was,”When I first started teaching I had a student who was very very low academically and I was able to do some team teaching and he blossomed. He started opening up and started having conversations and answering questions. It was so special for him to feel like that and it felt so accomplishing.”

Olsen wanted to give advice to incoming educators or people who were considering the field. Olsen advised, “You really have to give it a lot of thought. It is incredibly different from when I started. It is so much work and it is so much you have to deal with on a day to day basis. If you want to go into education you have to be 100% that that is what you want to do.” She continued by saying that, “Emotionally it is a lot.” Even though her retirement is sad and a little hard, Olsen is still excited and looking forward to her future. When asked what her future plans were for retirement she said, “Well me and my husband have a trailer so we are going to take our trailer and go on some camping trips.” Olsen also highly looks forward to spending some quality time with her family. Olsen is extremely family oriented and plans on visiting her grandchildren and kids all throughout California and Oregon!

Gayle Olsen has been a beloved member of our Viking family for many years. Make sure to remind her how much we value her before she’s gone!