The Saga

The Student News Site of Pleasant Valley High School

The Saga

The Saga

Viking Critiques

Movie Review: Home Alone

Home Alone is a classic Christmas movie that most people have probably seen at least once in their lifetime, if not more. Personally, I try to watch every Christmas season! I think the thing that keeps drawing people back to this movie is how nostalgic it is. The main plot of the movie is eight-year-old Kevin gets left home alone, and he has to defend his house from a pair of burglars. What I especially loved about this movie was the way it combined both comedy and emotion.

There are so many memorable moments in this film. There is a lot of foreshadowing that occurs throughout the film, and if you watch it a lot of times, you begin to notice it quite quickly! Moreover, the scenes are all very well shot and the actors are phenomenal. Macaulay Culkin does a great job as Kevin. Additionally, the music is amazing and actually has one of the best musical scores to come from a Christmas movie!

Home Alone begins by jumping straight into a lot of action, embodying the signature hustle and bustle of the Christmas season. As it goes on, the audience gets to see just how clever Kevin is. He sets all sorts of booby traps for the burglars, or the “Wet Bandits,” as they are called. The Wet Bandits make a great duo; Harry is somewhat smart and very arrogant, whereas Marv is cautious and gets scared easily. Together, they make a hilarious team. 

Overall, I would rate this movie a 10/10! It has a good blend of comedy, booby traps, and holiday charm. It is a perfect film to watch around the holidays!