Key Club Donates Food to Chico State Food Pantry

Key Club members pose for a photo with all of the donations.

During the week of November 7 through the 17, the Key Club at Pleasant Valley High School organized their annual canned food drive called “The Hungry Wildcat Food Drive” to give donations to the Chico State Food Pantry, located at 400 W 1st street. The Chico State Food Pantry helps students and staff facing food insecurity, which is described as “the state of being without reliable access to a sufficient quantity of affordable, nutritious food.” At the food pantry, students and staff simply have to show their ID cards and they can get all the food and other products they could need. The food pantry also has many kitchen items, such as pots, pans, silverware, plates, and hygiene products, such as toothbrushes, tampons, pads, diapers, soap, and other basic needs products. Most of the fresh fruits and veggies come from the Chico State agricultural program, where the students grow produce in the hundred-acre lot. The pantry also works alongside the basic needs program that helps students with housing and tuition for those living below the poverty line. The pantry helps many students and staff with a simple swipe of a card.

Key Club raised about 250 food items.

With the Key Club’s food drive, students were able to help this program and those it benefits. Raising around 250 food items, Key Club was able to send all of these donations to the organization. Although this campaign is over, there will be another opportunity next year for Vikings to donate again and to hopefully raise the number of donations.